Hemp has been grown and used for thousands of years, but because of the reputation of its cousin plant, marijuana, it hasn’t been used so much medicinally until recently.
Times are changing! In 2018 the US passed a farm bill that allows for the legal growing of hemp. Since that time, research has continually expanded–and so are hemp uses! Hemp fibers get used in clothing, hemp seeds are eaten, hemp oil is in cosmetics and hair products and CBD oil is being extracted from hemp for medicinal use.
CBD (cannabidiol) is used medicinally for both humans and dogs. CBD can contain very low amounts of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the chemical in marijuana that causes a “high”), but to be hemp-derived it must contain less than 0.3% THC.
CBD formulated for dogs can be a safe, natural way to treat many health conditions.
Read on to learn the answer to his article’s question: what does CBD do for dogs?
How Does CBD Affect Dogs?
The study of CBD is a new field, but scientists believe that CBD affects dogs much the same way that it does people. Namely, that CBD affects the endocannabinoid system (EBS), a system in the body in both the central and peripheral nervous systems that regulates homeostasis throughout the entire body.
Homeostasis, you might remember from high school science, is equilibrium between interdependent elements–meaning the body in harmony.
Two different receptors, CB1 and CB2 are thought to receive signals from the chemicals in cannabis (both hemp and marijuana). When THC binds with CB1 you get the “high” caused by marijuana. CBD affects CB2, which can contribute to that homeostasis–a calming of the nervous system from CBD.
So in case you were wondering: no, your dog will not get high from a CBD product. But your furry loved one can get healthier and happier with CBD.
What Can CBD Do for My Dog?
In less scientific terms, CBD may help with a wide variety of conditions, which are directly or indirectly related to the function of the nervous system. Conditions such as:
- Pain, joint problems, or arthritis
- Allergies or skin conditions
- Nausea or digestive problems
- Symptoms of cancer
Veterinarians are still studying the use of CBD for these and other medical conditions but based on what’s known so far and what human studies also suggest, those are the types of conditions that might respond really well to CBD treatment.
CBD Dog Safety
CBD products are generally considered safe, but there are a few things to consider before beginning a CBD treatment at home:
- Medical history – certain medical conditions might not respond well to CBD. If your dog has liver or kidney problems or heart problems, or another serious medical condition, it’s best to consult a veterinarian before beginning treatment.
- Proper dosage – understand CDB dog dosage, such as packaging instructions, before beginning CBD treatment.
- Potential reactions – while the risks of reactions with CBD treatment are low, it is important to understand potential reactions before beginning any new medical treatment. Monitor your furry loved one for dilated pupils, changes in breathing or heart rate, or any other adverse reaction, and seek emergency veterinary care if needed for a reaction with CBD or any other medication.
In the next section, we also talk about what to look for, when choosing a safe CBD product for your dog.
The Best CBD Products for Dogs
Current research suggests that CBD oil products for dogs perform better than other CBD products (such as chewables). For this reason, at Bad Dog CBD, we sell only the highest quality concentrated tinctures, specially formulated for your fur baby.
Other points to consider, when choosing the best CBD products for dogs, include:
- Dog-specific – formulas flavored for dogs, but not containing potentially harmful ingredients that may be found in human CBD products.
- THC-free – hemp-derived products with health benefits, not potentially doggy-dangerous THC compounds.
- Organic – free from harmful pesticides or other residual chemicals that might be dangerous for dogs.
- Grown in the USA – grown from known trusted sources and US-regulated, to ensure quality from plant to product.
- Effective – lab-verified, researched compounds which contain consistent ingredients and thus consistent results.
When you order from Bad Dog CBD you get everything we have talked about here, plus our expertise and love for our furry family members’ wellbeing. Order now and make a happy dog for a happy home!