The CBD market for humans has exploded into a multi-billion dollar industry. Reported benefits range from improved mobility to an instantaneous cure for Parkinson’s Disease. Along with the hype comes new benefits. Research has also expanded, sometimes confirming anecdotal evidence and sometimes contradicting it.
Research into CBD for pets lags but is also expanding.
Thousands of pet owners and even veterinarians are using CBD for pets now.
So how do I know if CBD is right for my pet?
Read on to learn more!
Can CBD Get My Dog High?
Confusions around CBD for pets generally stem from the central question: is CBD marijuana?
The answer is no.
CBD and marijuana are the same plant, cannabis sativa, but grown for different properties. Marijuana growers cultivate high THC content (tetrahydrocannabinol), the active psychedelic ingredient which causes a “high.” In fact, from 1995 to 2015, marijuana became over 200% stronger! THC concentrations were not tracked consistently before then. But it’s suspected that from the 1960’s to the 1990’s marijuana may have also gotten much more potent.
In order for a plant to be classified as hemp or CBD, however, it must contain less than 0.3% THC.
Is CBD Legal for My Pet?
The 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp in all 50 states.
CBD is cannabidiol, a hemp derivative. Hemp grown for CBD is bred to have high concentrations of CBD, plus the CBD oil can be extracted from the plant to ensure purity.
Is CBD Safe for My Pet?
CBD is considered safe for most animals. However, there are a few points to consider:
- Interference with medication – Some medications could interfere with CBD and cause problems, so if your pet is on any medication, check with your vet before beginning CBD.
- Animal-only formulas – Human CBD products should never be given to pets, particularly oils or liquids. These products for humans may contain xylitol (a common sweetener) or other ingredients which may be toxic to your pet.
- Dosage – While it’s unlikely, it is possible for your pet to overdose on CBD. More on dosage later.
- Allergic reaction – While incredibly rare, it is possible to be allergic to hemp products. Pet owners are advised to familiarize themselves with the signs of anaphylaxis in dogs before beginning any new medication or treatment.
With these few things in mind, CBD is generally safe for pets.
How Much CBD Should I Give My Dog?
CBD dosage depends on the size (weight) of your pet. The general dosage guide says 0.2 mg CBD per pound your pet ways.
For more specific dosage see our blog post: How Much CBD Oil Should I Give My Dog?
Can My Pet Overdose on CBD?
It would be really difficult to overdose on CBD. However, too much CBD may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or other gastrointestinal distress for your pet.
Follow recommended dosing to avoid potential overdose, particularly in smaller pets.
What Can CBD Do for My Pet?
When people ask, “Is CBD right for my pet?” what they often mean is, “What can CBD do for my pet?” Can CBD help your pet with allergies, arthritis, anxiety, or any other number of other ailments which do not begin with the letter “a”?
Most likely, the answer is yes.
CBD helps restore homeostasis, a Biology term for “all the parts functioning as a whole.” In restoring homeostasis, many symptoms resolve. Pet owners share these successes all the time!
At the very least, it’s worth a try to see if it answers the question, “Is CBD is right for my pet?”.
What is the Best Type of CBD for Dogs?
As stated above, it’s important that anything you give your pet is specially formulated for pets!
No human CBD products, please.
Other things to look for in quality CBD products for pets include:
- Made in the USA. Domestically-grown hemp products generally will be safer and use fewer pesticides than imports.
- Non-GMO. Genetically modifying organisms involves introducing potentially dangerous bacteria, like e. coli to get the plant to accept material from other organisms. Only give your pet non-GMO foods, supplements, and CBD products.
- Lab-tested. Look for independent lab verification, so that you are sure you are getting the listed ingredients. Labels may look pretty but can be misleading, particularly in the products available at many retail locations. Lab verification ensures accuracy.
- Pet-friendly ingredients. Ever buy your beloved furball something amazing, only to have it go untouched? We’ve all been there. The best CBD products use safe, high-quality, pet-friendly ingredients like peanut butter or chicken to pique your dog’s interest.
Ultimately, the best CBD product for your dog is the one he will enjoy!
Which CBD Product Should I Use First?
If you’re just getting started with pet CBD products, consider starting with Bad Dog CBD treats. We’ve got the best CBD-infused rewards to help your bad dog act his best.